Alignment. Balance. Stance.
According to Gary Cox, a Senior instructor at Homewood, these three words are the basis for skiing. “Use your core, and never ski without pressure on your shins,” expresses Gary in between runs on the chairlift.
Welcome to Adventure 55, a weekly clinic offered on Mondays at Homewood Mountain Resort. Gary, who has been instructing for almost 50 years, leads this fun group each week, which is designed specifically for the senior skier or snowboarder who is looking to learn new techniques. During my first session today, I learned just how valuable personal instruction can be. Instruction might be the wrong word, as Gary focuses much attention on observing his client, allowing him to tailor advice.
Back on the chairlift, he eagerly jumps back into a conversation about pressure points and “skiing with your bones.” Gary has witnessed every trend in ski technology over the years, and his greatest strength is his ability to relate to every age group and every style of skier. “I’ve skied everything from 210s to 155s,” says Gary when talking about ski technology during his career.
Though his knowledge of technique and equipment are second to none, Gary admits that he just loves teaching, and it shows. The result is a fun and informative morning spent cruising the slopes of Homewood with a guy who has seen it all. Here are some more details about the Monday Adventure 55 sessions:
- All clinics run from 10am – 12pm and meet at the Little Red Schoolhouse at Homewood’s North Lodge.
- Valid season pass or lift ticket required, and equipment rentals are not included.
- Cost: Each session is $34, or 8 sessions can be locked-in for $224 ($28/session).
- Open to intermediate/advanced skiers/riders over age 55.
- To sign-up, call reservations at (530) 584-6844
More information also available online at SkiHomewood.com